Lights from Salem

Musings and thoughts of a traveler and armchair linguist on his journey through the ups and downs of life.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The end of November

Dear Constant Readers,

I'm happy to report that I have internet again in my room, which to me is a big deal. By using the computer at the school, I have begun to become accustomed to the German keypad, and therefore sometimes type a z when I mean a y (they've switched places, but as far as letters go, they are the only ones that have).

A few things that I know now: For me at the moment it's better just to meet people. I don't know how that will change over the course of my year here, but for now, I want only friendships. I've been having much better success with hanging out with the locals, and I've been pleased in general with the improvements in my language skills.

They've set up the Christmas Market here, getting ready for "The Most Wonderful Time of the Yeeeearrr". Actually, I don't mean that sarcastically. I wouldn't say I have a favorite day out of the year, but Christmas would probably be a contender were it the case. I don't know what I'm doing for the holidays, yet. Some friends and I were thinking of putting together a little trip to Switzerland, and I'd like to go. But plans are apparently changing, and the longer we wait, not to mention the longer we plan to stay, the more expensive the trip becomes. I'm a bit torn, now. On the one hand I'd like to go with them and hang out. I'd really like to spend Christmas in Switzerland and see snow and mountains and feel like it's a Christmas that people only ever dream of, something hopelessly romantic like that, because I am a hopeless romantic at heart.

However, I have also been invited to visit a friend and her family, which would also of course be nice. I haven't seen her in 3 years, but every Christmas (except for the last when I wasn't at home) since we met as exchange students in Mexico I've called her to say hi. I would like to also do that.

Financially thinking, I don't want to of course be too cheap to have fun here, but at the same time, I also want to be careful with my money so I can travel to more places or hopefully not need to get a part time job here. If I did that though, so people have suggested being an English tutor/aid, so I could probably handle that if necessary.

Some of the other international students are flying home for the holidays. While I can certainly understand the importance of being with family and friends for that time, I decided before I even left that I wouldn't be coming home for Christmas. For me, when I decided to leave the country for a year, that meant very much not to come back again until that year is up. I figured, I'm in another part of the world, why not take as much in as I can? Certainly to each their own, but that is what my feelings were concerning what I wanted for myself.

At the moment I'm afraid I don't have much more to say. I haven't been getting enough sleep lately, which is something that I can change right now since it's bed time. =D I've heard that college students receive less amount of sleep on average than most other people, at least in America. I can see that's perhaps true. Despite my dislike for nightlife, I'm very much a nightowl and have a hell of a time getting out of bed in the mornings. Twice I almost skipped classes this week, and probably should have for the sake of just being healthy. But I didn't, I felt that if I wasn't going to be self-disciplined about getting to bed at a decent hour, than I would be at least self-disciplined about getting to class.

Tomorrow I can sleep in a bit, and then get some grocery shopping, and so forth done before I have class. I'm looking forward to that.

Once again, I hope this finds you well. I hope to hear back from some of you, and may the beginning of the end of this year be a good one.

I'll fill you in hopefully next week again!

Tristan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home