Lights from Salem

Musings and thoughts of a traveler and armchair linguist on his journey through the ups and downs of life.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Finally a note

Dear Constant Readers,

If you are wondering why I haven't written in a long time, it's because my internet in my room has gone straight to Hades. Originally I thought my computer had contracted a nasty illness, but I found out thankfully that the problem is not in my computer, rather in the piece of crap cable that I've been depending on. However, one problem that my computer has that I cannot seem to resolves is why it's not picking up the wireless signal from my neighbor, while other people's machines can.

In short, I am not forgetting to write, but until this problem is solved, I don't know how constant these messages will be. Hopefully it will be soon, but there's no way to tell for certain.

So, perhaps you are interested in how my life has been these past few weeks. The weather is turning typically German, which means rainy and glumy days.

This past weekend me and 9 other people got away from all of that for a while by taking a weekend trip to Barcelona, Spain. I found Spain, especially from the air, to be very beautiful, and I'm glad I took the trip, because I had formerly no real drive to go to Spain. In the course of the trip I became better friends with a few of the individuals, and it helped that one of them has the same wacky sense of humor that I do.

In the future, though, I think I will want to travel with smaller groups. 10 people is too large, and three days can be a long time to spend with such a number, especially when sleep is low. But the trip was ultimately fun. I saw some of the sights, such as the never-ending-construction of the Sagrada Familia, a big church that won't probably be completed until 2025 or so. Sadly, I didn't get to go up the spires, due to the fact that the line was too long and some people in our group were waiting on us who did want to go up. I also saw the Park Güelle, I think is how it's spelled, Gaudi's park, I think...It overlooks much of the city and also has the world's longest (and very wavy) park bench, which for some reason I wanted to see the whole time. I'm not a fan of Guadi's style of art (specifically, the architecture I should say, since that's what he did). The look to his buildings are certainly original and (to some) beautiful, but to me they look too Dr. Suess-ish (which I also was never a big fan of). That said, the church was quite magnificiant.

But a big trip like that will be few and far between, I'm afraid. It kind of hit my money hard, and I'm starting to get a little concerned about that. I've been trying to save money, but nothing is really cheap. Last night I went out and bought a bunch of soup packets so I don't have to go somewhere else to eat, but still I'm a bit concerned. I suppose I could find a job here, but I'm not sure what that would be. Some of suggested being an English tutor, so I guess I could do that. Tuesday night I went to the Englischstammstisch (English Conversation) to meet some more Germans, even if they did want to speak in English with me. I'm happy that I'm finally meeting more people here and people are also recognizing me. It makes me feel like I'm finally integrating, and my German itself is noticiably getting better because sometimes if I want to say something in English to a fellow exchange student friend, the German words come to my mind first without me requiring the effort to translate them.

This weekend I'll be going to Mainz with a friend. We leave tomorrow (on Friday), and I'm a bit disappointed that I'll be missing the American Thanksgiving that we Americans all were going to put on as a group, but I don't want to pass this opportunity up.

At the moment I don't have much more to add. When I've told some people about my blog, and how I vent my feelings into it, people wonder why I do that, and why I'd want to remind myself of my frustrations. But when I went back and skimmed over what I had written so far, I realized that, certainly yes I've written about frustrating topics and so forth, but that has certainly not been the overall theme of everything there. I will continue to be honest about if I'm frustrated or whatever the case may be (at least if it's relevant to write about here, I mean), but there are also plenty of stories in here that I'm glad I've written, and in the future when I'm home, someday I think I'll enjoy going back over these entries and re-reading it.

Until next time, hopefully soon, I hope this finds you well.

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Tristan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home