Lights from Salem

Musings and thoughts of a traveler and armchair linguist on his journey through the ups and downs of life.

Friday, October 27, 2006

More from Germany (Originally written Oct. 10)

Dear Constant Readers,

I intended to write a note on the weekend, but things kept getting put on the backburner. If you haven't found them yet, I've posted photos from my journey here. I think of it as a journey anyway. A basic truth about traveling is that you never really come home. You aren't the same person when you go back home, and you can't completely go back anyway because the world has continued without you, so once again you are stepping into the unknown. But I'm not quite to that point yet.

I thought I knew what I wanted to say last weekend, but that has more or less changed. In a way, things have refused to stay constant this past few days. I feel a bit confused about relationships. My whole life I've been a loner, and will continue to be so, probably more because that just seems to be how things work out for me, regardless of how I try to fit in. I've grown to accept this, and sometimes welcome the freedoms in it, but sometimes I feel like a prisoner of freedom and want to belong to a group of some kind. And yet relationships here, with a few notable exceptions, are like drifts of ice on a river. They are there, but constantly moving. For some reason I've felt a bit out of the loop.

I'm meeting more people and am expanding my social circle, so this might be the reason: relationships are still solidifying. It has not been my intent to ignore any of my friends here. Indeed, I'm more still trying to find my own person, something that happens bit by bit, and is more like forming a concept rather than coming up with a solid end.

I've noticed this about Germany: people hold hands, and it's a wonderful thing. Young and old alike. I never see this in America, it seems. To see a couple, especially and adult or elderly couple holding hands in America is a rare thing for some reason. At least that's been my experience. Here though, it's not rare at all, and I find it encouraging and refreshing (of course, there are things I'd rather not see, like people making out...but that's a far cry from holding hands).

One of the things I missed most was physical human contact. I'm not an especially touchy-feely person, but even a handshake is welcome. It's something so subtle that you don't even think about it until you don't have it anymore, when no one shakes your hand, when no one gives you a hug, etc. I'm not saying Germany is devoid of these things at all, but in my personal experiences as an exchange student, being an outsider to the culture generally meant literally being an outsider. The time it takes for you to be expected can be a lonely time indeed.

Since this weekend I've recieved a hug or two, and that's good for the spirit. But I hope that relationships with people in general here continue in a fruitful way. And that's all I have to say about that for now, I think.

I almost forgot: The Autobahn. I got my first ride in it last weekend. People, it was a bit anti-climatic. I asked my friend Brian if the Autobahn ran near Trier, and he said we were on it, in fact. We were traveling by bus, so surely restrictions apply, but we got to experience none of the speed that it's known for. But it's early yet....One thing though, it goes through some beautiful countryside, and since everything is still fairly new to me, perhaps it was better we went at a compratively slow speed so I could see things more easily.

As I write this, I feel like this has been my weakest note, because it hasn't told much about my goings on in Germany so far, rather instead the goings on in my head and a few observations I've made that have struck me as important somehow. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed it and that my musings didn't put anyone off. I felt it was time to write again, and talk about a few things that have been on my mind (and valuable to me) over the course of the week.

To those who have written me: Thank you, I enjoy hearing the feedback and knowing that other people are interested as well. I'm glad that these little notes are enjoyed. :-)

As always, comments or emails or whatever are welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home