Lights from Salem

Musings and thoughts of a traveler and armchair linguist on his journey through the ups and downs of life.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

An Eternal and Endless Ocean

Dear Readers,

I apologize for my absence from writing. It has been a hectic month, this past November. There were a lot of people who were leaving, and family developments, and Thanksgiving traveling and things like that. Currently I’m in Lima for mid-service medchecks.

I’m going to see if I can keep this short since it’s late right now. I was just down looking at the ocean from a place called Larco Mar, which is an outdoor food and shopping mart, and I wanted to briefly write about some of what I reflected on out there. It was around 11 PM and the see was all dark and there was dark clouds stretching off to where the water and the clouds met. It just made me feel calm. I’ve been feeling swarms of doubts and negativity tugging at my insecurities, infecting me with their pollution and deceits. Yet tonight when I looked at the water there was a peace of things just being still, and that’s what I believe is in all of us. Often we can feel like we are caught in a storm, and that is perhaps very well the case. I think though that many of us (and definitely in my case) it’s easy to forget that storms don’t reach down to the depths. Even the worst ones can still be storms on the surface of our lives. This is not to downplay serious challenges or problems that people have to face from time to time: illness, family emergencies or crises, financial problems, and so forth. If there are problems, of course they should be dealt with if it’s possible. But they need not consume us of all our energy. We don’t have to dwell only on the surface of our life, when there is so much more underneath. Often things aren’t as major as we make them out to be. A comment or an action from someone that triggers insecurities or doubts may have been nothing at all: when you are on the surface of the ocean, waves can appear and feel huge and devastating. But in the whole of the sea, they are usually not much to get worked up about.

Most of this I say because I’ve found that in interacting with other people, I usually cannot tell how they feel, and reach the wrong conclusions. But sometimes you just have to let things wash over you, and not stop and analyze them.
I’ll have more to say next time, but right now I’m tired and off to bed.

Peace,
Tristan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home